Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Rain and Electricity Cut - 20th Mar

I experienced my first torrential downpour last night in Shaoguan city. Technically, I wasn't in the city, so the effects of the extreme weather really hit me. I had a restless sleep (as usual - I rarely get good sleep here. Maybe it's the bed...) and woke up at 5:00am to the sounds of thunder and rain, pattering on my windows. Lightning flashed constantly, brightening the room. It was flooding down in the muddy streets and roads were blocked with water rushing downstream. Eventually, after trying hard to forget the cold, sounds and misery, I fell asleep again. I had class the next morning anyhow.

Morning came. Being the impulsive person that I am, I went and got my umbrella, put on some trainers and went for a walk. By this time, I was indeed brave enough to venture out into the "village" alone, although it is hard to ignore the stares from the local people as I walk by. Hong Kong people are conspicuous, stand out and different....exotic to them.

The school was littered with trash, as was the roads. Muddy water puddles filled the streets. Children flocked to school, and boys swept the playground desperately, as if it was a move to restore their precious playground from the rampages and terrible powers of the storm. I didn't bring my camera or phone, for fear of theft. I just had a few dollars in my pocket, and bought a few steamed buns for breakfast.

I had been restrained to my little dorm room for so long, afraid to venture out, that I took great satisfaction in walking outside alone. Yes, I hid under my umbrella, but hey, it was definitely a first move. Maybe I should go for more morning walks instead of brooding alone in my bed, feeling listless, tired and awake.

I ate what the kids ate for breakfast - a warm, salty red bean bun, and a salty preserved vegetable bun. They tasted strange to my Hong Kong tongue, but it was also strangely satisfying. It filled up something in me that was missing for the past few weeks, my first taste of substantial food! I've been living on mostly cereal, oatmeal and sweetened things lately, eating way too much candy and sweets. 

Well - healthy living begins somewhere doesn't it ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC